Thursday, August 11, 2011

Sketchbooks...

So a big part of a fun of a design is the first stage... sketching it.  I've had a sketchbook on hand since high school (we won't mention how many years ago that was), and I've always loved the doodling and random things that come out on the pages.  I love to look back through the books and revisit old ideas and laugh at some of the  sillier scribbles.

Not too long ago, my husband was looking through one of my sketchbooks, and he found a drawing I'd done of him that I have no memory of making.  If you know my husband, this is hysterical.  I imagine quickly jotting this down while trying to work on something serious as he is prancing around in front of me trying to get some attention! I can only assume that the floating head next to him is me, not amused.  We had a good laugh over this, and he now uses it for his blog.  I think everyone should keep a sketchbook just to catch these little gems on paper!

Anyway, that's a very long intro to my real point - I'm thinking about being a part of the Sketchbook Project. I toyed with the idea last year, but never committed to it. Now might be a better time - here's the gist... You pay 25 bucks and they send you a small sketchbook with a bar code on it. It tours around the US for a while (no DC stops yet - boo), then gets a permanent home in the Brooklyn Art Library.  With the bar code, you can tell whenever someone checks out your book to read/see, which is a nice feature.

The best part for me would be the extra inspiration to sketch things other than what I plan on making into designs for my shop. These days, almost all my sketching involves trees and birds and things that could turn into bigger paintings, so it would be nice to have incentive to draw other things and see where it goes.
I'd get the book in September and have until January to finish it and send it back. This is extra cool because that will be the first four months of my son's life - could make for some interesting, sleep-deprived ideas for sure. So, we'll see what I decide...

No comments:

Post a Comment